Dentures can be supported by implants. It’s a cost-effective way to replace missing teeth and offers a huge improvement over traditional dentures.
This dental innovation called implant-retained dentures was developed by Dr. Sendax Victor, a board-certified dentist based in Manhattan. His concept was later refined by Dr. R. A. Bulard, who added a single-piece “O-ball” design to it.
What Are Implant Retained Dentures?
An implant-retained denture is one supported by implants. The implants are ultra-small titanium alloy screws that are placed in the jawbone, providing an attachment at the gum tissue on which the denture will be held securely in place.
This method is usually recommended for patients with few teeth remaining but enough bone in the jaw to support implants. The implants, usually two, are mostly made for the lower jaw.
Before proceeding, your dentist will review your dental and medical history. X-rays and impressions will also be taken to ensure proper implant placement.
If you don’t have a complete denture yet, you will be provided a temporary denture that you’ll use until the implant retained denture is ready. The temporary denture can also be used as a backup for the final denture or as the final denture to save costs.
You and your dentist or oral surgeon will work together in developing a treatment plan.
Who Can Benefit from Implant Retained Dentures?
You may benefit from implant retained dentures if you have the following:
- Missing or weak lower teeth
- Not enough remaining teeth to hold a denture
- Dentures that fit poorly or are uncomfortable
Advantages of Implant Retained Dentures
- Helps preserve your facial structure by keeping your remaining jaw bone intact
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles around the mouth
- Eliminates the need for denture adhesives
- Improves your ability to chew and enjoy foods without restriction
- Feels comfortable and does not slip out of the mouth like regular dentures
- Allows you to focus more on what you do
- Boosts self-confidence
It’s amazing how a life-changing transformation is only a few dental visits away. If you want to know more about implant retained dentures, get in touch with our dental team at 587.316.9802.