Although tooth enamel is strong, it can still chip or break. Chewing something hard, using your teeth to open tough packaging, or receiving a blow to the face can result in broken or chipped teeth. Your dentist can resolve this issue for you.
The following are dental restorative options for fixing a broken tooth:
- Cosmetic contouring. If it’s a minor chip, you can leave it as is. But if it’s bothering you, cosmetic contouring might be an option. The process takes a few minutes to complete and will make the chip less noticeable.
- Bonding. Your dentist may recommend bonding to repair a chipped tooth. Bonding uses composite resin that’s colour-matched to your tooth for a natural look. The process can be completed in one visit and the fee depends on the extent of the chip.
- Veneers. You may consider dental veneers if your tooth is significantly chipped or your bonding keeps cracking. Veneers can last up to 20 years with proper care. Dental veneers are thin porcelain covers placed on the front surface of the tooth. This results in a smooth, natural look. However, it requires thinning of the tooth enamel. The process can take multiple visits to complete as the final restoration has to be fabricated in the dental lab.
- Crowns. Another option to repair a severely chipped tooth is a crown. Unlike veneers, crowns cover the entire tooth to restore its shape. They can be made from various materials like ceramic or gold. If the damage reached the pulp of the tooth, you may require a root canal before getting a crown. The cost of dental crowns depends on the material you choose and the difficulty level of the procedure.
- Dental implants. Dental implants can also be used to fix a cracked tooth. The remaining tooth is removed and the dental implant is screwed into the jawbone. But prior to placing the implant, your mouth should be allowed to heal first. This is also one reason why implants take longer to complete. But, despite the wait, dental implants are popular for the advantages they offer – they provide a permanent and reliable solution for missing teeth.
Need a Chipped or Broken Tooth Repaired?
At McKenzie Towne Family Dental, we educate patients on options they have for fixing chipped or broken teeth. We’ll guide you in choosing a treatment that’s appropriate for your situation.
Get back your beautiful smile. Call our team today at 403.257.1180 to book your initial consultation.